Sunday, April 24, 2011

No Chocolate for Pups on Easter

Happy Easter to all the pups out there!

Fido's Fondness For Chocolate: A Deadly Passion

Easter baskets full of chocolate are for kids, not dogs.

Baskets of chocolate bunnies, chicks and eggs are here. Happy Easter!
Enjoy the treats, but beware pooches with sweet-toothes.
Simply put, chocolate can be poisonous to dogs: It contains caffeine and theobromine, which are deadly to canines.

The antioxidants in dark chocolate are said to be beneficial to humans, but due to the high theobromine content it is even more lethal to dogs than milk chocolate.

Dogs that ingest chocolate may vomit, urinate excessively and have diarrhea, leading to dehydration.
Once the theobromine is absorbed by the canine’s system, it stimulates the central nervous system and can cause rapid heartbeats and hypertension.

A poisoned dog could also have seizures and tremors. These affects vary depending on the size of the dog and the amount of chocolate ingested.

If your dog does get into an Easter basket, contact your vet immediately. Without veterinary attention, chocolate poisoning can lead to death.

So go ahead and enjoy your basket of delights this Easter, but don’t be tempted to give in to Fido’s begging.

No comments:

Post a Comment